Thursday, June 9, 2011

Beyond Easy Vegan BBQ Tofu Pizza Topping


This seems too simple to even write down and to call it a recipe is a stretch. So, if you are looking for a culinary challenge you may want to move along.

However, if your week is overwhelming and you're just too tired to make dinner -  this is perfect for you. I was lucky enough to get a dinner invite on my hectic Monday. My friend, Brit, was experimenting with pizza dough and I was also invited to bring my own topping if I wanted. She was providing the pizza crust!

I definitely wanted to make my own topping. I have a special place in my heart for bbq pizza. It's actually close to an obsession, but at least Mellow Mushroom has bbq tofu on their menu. But this is so much cheaper it's ridiculous!

If you are avoiding soy you could certainly use seitan or add extra veggies in place of the tofu. To make it gluten-free simply buy or make gluten-free pizza shells. This is also good on English Muffins, flatbread, and light toasted tortillas.

BBQ Tofu Pizza Topping

Makes about 4 mini pizzas or 1 large

1/2 block tofu
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1/2 cup fresh pineapple, chopped 
1/4 to 1/2 cup Pepper Jack Daiya (more if you want)
Approx. 1/4 to 1/2 cup of your favorite bbq sauce (use more or less depending on how saucy you like it)

Press the tofu to get all the water out and give it a very firm texture. Chop the pressed tofu, red pepper, and pineapple. Add to a bowl and mix together. 

You can either put the Daiya on top of this mixture on your pizza or mix it in before hand. I think Daiya melts best with a little liquid so I mixed mine in.

Spread topping on pre-made crust(s). Bake in oven at 425 until crust is done. Time will vary wildly depending on the thickness of your crust.

If you are bringing this to a make your own pizza party make a little for the non-vegans. They will be curious and want to try some. 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete